Thursday, December 2, 2010

secret foodie

I'm obsessed with food blogs.  In an unhealthy way.  In another life I would be morbidly obese, but I don't have the stamina.

Reality?  I don't really eat that much.  Coffee and something small in the morning, coffee and a sandwich or similar in the afternoon (if I even get that far... if I wake up too late lunch doesn't happen) and then a really great meal for dinner.

Most people, when they go to the grocery mart, will walk up and down some aisles and think to themselves, "What do I want for supper tonight?.... Welp, spaghetti is always a winner... but oh, that chicken breast is on sale this week... and I guess I haven't had tuna casserole in a while, I could do that Tuesday..."

I'm not most people.  I spend an obscene amount of time, days even, thinking about what culinary creation I can put together next.  Most of the time, it's something that will last me about 3 or 4 days because sadly, I have to cook for myself.  That's the reason why I bake cookies and breakfast breads for my roommates.  I find it so sad to not be able to enjoy food with other people.  Maybe that's one of the reasons why I love to cook so much.

There are 3 food blogs currently in my bookmarks, and I'm always looking for another worthy contender.  This consists of:
       1. A lovely amount of dessert recipes (probably my number one weakness)
       2. Fair amounts of updates (once a week or less is just not cutting it for my bookmark clicking
           addiction)
       3. An appreciation for seasonal foods and holidays (gotta love eight pumpkin recipes in a row when        
           all I can think about is pumpkin!)

When I came to England, I decided I was going to try vegetarianism.  Mainly to be healthy, but also because in the future my ideal would be to only eat free range and organic meat or whatever the granola crunchers call it.  (I guess I'm a bit of a granola cruncher myself).  I'll post another blog on how that's affected me, reasons behind it, blah blah...               
                                                                                        but when reading these beloved blogs sometimes I have to skip over a post because it's all about a slab of beef.  Sad, really.  I would sign up for a vegetarian food blog, but usually they have weird recipes that make me go "ick".  Like fried tofu.  Gross.  Quorn makes fake meat, and I'd rather go get some of that than a slab of rubbery soy byproduct.

Anyway, I'll share the three blogs that are currently in my bookmarks.  You'll know why.
noblepig.com
vanillakitchen.blogspot.com
bunsinmyoven.com

Someday my future hypothetical husband will be fat and happy.  I could even have my own food blog and call it, "fatnhappy" and lie to him saying he's not fat, it's just a witty name for my blog about all the food I make for him and our fat happy children.  Maybe that's why I love cooking.  I love making other people happy.  That, and a lot of people can't cook so they're always ridiculously grateful when you cook for them.  It's really good for self esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment