Thursday, June 2, 2011

getting caught up in the world around you is an easy thing to do

I wonder what it would be like if I had moved to New York... no just kidding, I don't.  Know why?  Because as much as NY is the end goal, and I do love that city, I think that God wanted me in Boston at least for now.  Whenever I go through a change or I move somewhere new I think to myself, "this is temporary" and I can't enjoy it to the fullest because I never feel settled.  I've been here for three and a half days and I already feel like, "I love the people, I love my street, I love my room, and I feel ok."

Maybe the fact that everyone that's important to me is within an arm's reach has something to do with it.  I know I'm never going to feel lonely if my closest friends and my sisters are living in the vicinity, and home is less than an hour and less of a hassle to get to with public transit being at my fingertips.  The people of Boston don't give me that same temporary feeling of falsehood that I've had when living in New York or Newport.  And as much as I would never trade my (hopefully) life-long friends I gained in Europe, I was there for school and the entire time I had to think about the fact that I had to leave.  Now I get on the subway and have conversations with complete strangers about stuff we can all relate to like the Bruins and tornados brewing. 

These people; they're real, and I'm home.

... now I just have to get my headshots done and get the ball rolling on my acting career.  I just did an open mic at a comedy night at a Howard Johnson's.  Wasn't the greatest thing ever, but at least I have confirmation that I am funny and I came up with my material while I was sitting there and watching people.  There were guys sitting with their notebooks and recording themselves while they were doing their sets, but I don't think that's the best way to go about it, especially if your routine still somewhat sucks.  You have to feed off of what you know, feel for where people's minds are wandering to when you're telling them a story; I'm not an expert on standup, but I do know how to tell somebody a story that'll make them laugh and I think that's what counts the most. 

So here's to trusting your gut and trusting God that Boston was a good choice for a 20-something out of work actress.  Let's get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment